Stephanie (TASD resident)“I want a good future for myself and to be somewhere with more support with people who care about me.”
Amanda (TASD resident 2004-2007)“TASD is still around to help me when I need it. In alumni services everyone has been so much help. They're there for me when I need advice or need anyone to talk to no matter the cause.”
• Based on national survey data, between 1.6 and 2.1 million youth are homeless over the course of a year.
• More than 200,000 unaccompanied minors (age 12 to 17) and thousands more young adults (age 18 to 24) experience homelessness each year in California.
• There are an estimated 2,000 homeless youth on the streets in San Diego.
• Homeless youth are far more likely to be physically and sexually victimized than their peers who are not homeless.
• Homeless children are twice as likely to be held back or to drop out of school altogether.
• Fewer than 25% of homeless kids graduate from high school.
• Homeless children move many times during a school year and each move may make them fall behind academically.
• Almost half of all homeless children suffer from anxiety and depression.
Toussaint Academy Facts & Statistics:
- • Toussaint Academy is the only long-term residential program for homeless youth in San Diego.
- • Each year, Toussaint Academy serves over 40 homeless youth through residential services and an additional 60 alumni ages 18-24 through aftercare services.
• 100% increased their GPA by .25 or more or maintained a GPA of 3.0 or higher
• 90% enrolled in post-secondary education
• 95% obtained permanent or another stable housing
• 95% obtained employment and established savings
• 100% passed the California High School Exit Exam (CAHSEE)